I’ve been told that I might need a license to host on Airbnb. My property is in London and in a block of flats. May i have your insights, please?
It depends on what part of the world you are hosting your Airbnb. Example:
- Los Angeles restricts hosts for short term lettings to 120-days and requires that you register with city council at a cost of approximately $89
- Mallorca, Spain has banned all short term lettings in apartments, and a registration number is required for your listing.
- Charleston, USA now accepts Airbnb but you need a nine-digit registration number on your listing.
- Paris requires written approval from Landlords and a maximum of rental of 120-days
- San Francisco requires a certificate called a Short-term Residential Rental Certificate. Rental is limited to 90-days
- Barcelona, requires all Airbnb hosts to have a permit number on their listing that starts with HUTB.
- Span requires all Airbnb hosts to register their property until the ryokan law.
Other cities do have regulations that need to be followed. Example:
- New York City doesn’t have licensing, however, they only allow entire apartments to be rented for a maximum of 30-days
- London hosts are only allowed to legally rent out their apartments for a maximum of 90-days a year