Every rental property should come with certain standard items and features, but some of them are not quite what you expect. This chapter will go over the most essential items that you should always keep in your property:
- Television: Have a basic television set up in the living room, and if possible, connect it to your WiFi so guests can stream their favorite programs. You may also pay for a streaming service like Netflix to increase their options.
- WiFi: WiFi is an essential component of any rental these days. All guests will expect fast WiFi, and if for some reason you can’t provide it, make sure to notify guests immediately at the top of your Airbnb listing. Having no WiFi is like having no running water. Ensure you have strong WiFi in all rooms if possible
Your bedroom should come complete with at least:
- A bed and frame
- Comfortable pillows
- Drawers and storage space
- Ample lighting
- Electrical outlets (with an extension if necessary)
While all of the above are essential, you can spice the room up with a small coffee table either near the bed or in the corner of the room. If near the bed, place a small lamp on the table so guests can access it effortlessly when it’s time to sleep. You can also choose to place a few books or magazines in the bedroom for added comfort and atmosphere, but try to avoid leaving anything overly expensive or sentimental since they may get damaged over time. Finally, have extra sheets and bedding available at all times. This will help should any sheets get damaged or lost in the wash, and it would make your guests feel comfortable should they spill something during their stay.
You want to keep your bathroom as clean, organized, and fresh as possible, and these are the essential items you’ll need to do so:
- Clean towels
- A mat for tile floors
- Proper ventilation
- Unisex shower gels and soaps
- Hand soap
Some other options include an aerosol for foul odors, a pack of cheap toothbrushes and razors, plus travel size packets of toothpaste. None of these are necessary, but they may help to boost your rating along the way!
In the living room, you’ll want a few essentials like:
- Comfortable couches, chairs, and seating arrangements
- A coffee table
- Ample lighting
All of the above are essential, but one addition would be an inexpensive air humidifier to keep the room fresh and odor-free. These humidifiers can be combined with essential oils like lavender or orange oil for a customizable experience. While candles may seem nice, it may best to avoid anything to do with fire for safety purposes.
In the Kitchen
You can keep some snacks in the kitchen for your guests, and you can also have simple items like instant coffee or tea. Never leave perishable items like milk for your guests since they may spoil during their stay.
Some essentials include:
- Glasses and mugs
- Paper towels
- Cloth towels
- Toaster oven
- Electric kettle
- Hand soap
- Dish soap
Safety and Security
Since your guests may be from another country, place a sign with the local emergency numbers near the phone so they know who to call.
Some essential items include:
- An accessible and visible fire extinguisher
- Gauze and tape
- Antibacterial cream
- A general first-aid kit
For a complete list of complete list of list of recommend products visit our Airbnb resources page